Friday, February 25, 2011

Music Friday: "Sunless Saturday"



What you see above is the cover of the first CD I ever bought. The fact that Fishbone's The Reality of My Surroundings was my first CD makes me think about all the cassettes I had, ones that I now wish I had MP3s of. I once had a massive collection of cassette tapes from The Who, the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, and many other artists.

[Tangent Alert]

Cassettes, baby, cassettes. It's a fun word to write because the format is an anachronism. Say the word out loud. It has gruff, guttural sound to it, like something the Visigoths would mutter before battle.

Anyway, Fishbone is still around, but the following albums--In Your Face, Truth & Soul, and The Reality of My Surroundings--are the ones I've listened to the most, especially the final two.

The band's sound was/is a fun amalgamation of soul, ska, funk, and hard rock/metal.

I saw the band a couple of times at the same venue when I went to college at Truman. A group of us traveled down to the Blue Note in Columbia. The first show was a Primus-Fishbone double bill, and the second was a Kyuss, Biohazard, and Fishbone affair. At the time, Fishbone playing with Biohazard seemed like a odd pairing, but it worked out.

To properly date the Reality album, this Friday I offer "Sunless Saturday" when the band played on The Arsenio Hall Show.

Remember that guy?

3 comments:

fern said...

wow. I had no idea. What fun!

Fozzie said...

Fishbone is coming to St. Louis March 14. They are playing at the City Museum. Weird.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Too bad I'll be elsewhere for spring break, or I might have gone to the show.

Foz, are you up for going to see McMurtry and The Bottle Rockets at The Pageant the night of the draft?