Thursday, May 6, 2010

Strawberry Sandwiches & John Henry


Lately we've been getting strawberries at the local grocery store and also because they're one of my son's favorite snacks. That kid loves strawberries ~ and not the cut strawberries partially macerated in sugar. He likes them simple, just cut in two or quarters au natural. He's obsessed with those berries.

My daughter isn't obsessed with strawberries, but she did come up with an interesting way to eat fresh ones. Since we had some leftover hot dog buns, she decided to place a few strawberries inside the bun and enjoy a "strawberry sandwich."

Of course, I'm thinking about doing this now but with the modifications of Cool Whip and Hershey's chocolate syrup. Since hot dog buns are so bland, I figure the whipped topping and chocolate will make the concoction more palatable. At least that's going to be my rationalization. We adults, we like to rationalize.

In other daughter-related matters, I finally got her to let me read her John Henry book (Julius Lester) tonight, and she really liked the story even though the hero dies in the end. The story of John Henry has always been one of my favorite American folktales, and I'm happy she likes it too.

That tale is also the subject of a very good Drive-By Truckers song too, which you can enjoy by clicking HERE. This video is Isbell doing the song solo.

No comments: