Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Fumbling Toward Culinary Talent: Wilted Spinach

Some of the Savoy spinach in my garden is now ready for eating. Last growing season, I planted kale and had lots of it. I'll plant that eventually, but spinach grows best early in the spring, and, man, fresh spinach is really good eats.

Here's one of the most basic recipes out there ~ and one of the best.

Ingredients:
A bunch of fresh spinach
2 tablespoons (roughly) of olive oil
1-2 cloves of garlic minced
Smidge of red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat the oil, garlic, and pepper flakes to medium or medium-low heat in a large pan. After the oil is brought up to that level, drop in the spinach in small waves until it sucks up the olive oil and garlicky goodness. Salt and pepper to taste. I also plan to play around with using chopped onion or shallots in this basic recipe.

2 comments:

Babe Runner said...

This is my favorite way to cook fresh spinach. So yummy -- and no iron-poor blood!!

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

It almost seems barbaric to cook that so tender spinach just picked from the garden over heat, but I'll get over it somehow. Sacrifices to my stomach and taste buds need to be made.