Monday, July 13, 2015

Fumbling Toward Culinary Talent: Chinese Cabbage & Kale Salad

I planted Chinese cabbage in my garden this season. This recipe is an adaptation of an online recipe I found and the Asian kale salad I made recently. 

Ingredients
1 head of Chinese cabbage, chopped roughly
4 fronds of kale, stems taken out and chopped roughly
1 carrot, shredded
1/2 cup of vidalia onion
1 10 oz. package of steamed edamame, shells discarded
1/2 cup of rice vinegar
Little less than a 1/4 cup of sesame oil
Smidge of reduced sodium soy sauce
Smidge of olive or vegetable oil
Smidge of cracked black pepper

Process
Chop the cabbage and kale and place them in a large mixing boil. Shred the carrot and place in the bowl. Microwave the edamame, pop out the soybeans, and put them in the bowl. Since I hate raw onions, I sautéed the onion in a little olive oil until they were nice and soft. I drained them on a paper towel, let the cool, and added them into the mix. 

In another mixing bowl combine the rice vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce, oil, and black pepper. Whisk briskly. Pour over the cabbage, kale, etc. and toss. Set in the refrigerator and let it chill. 

No comments: