Saturday, May 12, 2012

Stay Positive: Easy-to-Install Shutters, Water Balloons, & The Avengers


This afternoon Mrs. Nasty and I put some new shutters as you can see above. They were surprisingly easy to install.

For a long time, we just stayed with the burgundy shutters we inherited when we bought the house, but we made a change for the better.

I was not looking forward to putting up those things because of my past experiences with home improvement. I have Tim Taylor-like tendencies if you get the old pop culture reference.

On second thought, I guess there was the incident where I fell off the ladder, fell on my butt, and did something to my right knee, but other than that snafu, it was a sound success.

After that was all over and because the kids were good while we worked, we had a water balloon fight. Water was splattered liberally.

Tonight it's a viewing of The Avengers. I hope they don't screw up the plot line from the original comic book too much since the current cartoon is more true to the Marvel comic since the group started with Ant Man and Wasp.

2 comments:

Fern said...

So how was the film? I heard good things about it from an adult student, who was pleased to hear the name "tesseract" (from A Wrinkle in Time) given to the object that in the comic books was called the "cosmic cube." I almost went to see it, but I'm still a little traumatized from my viewing of Iron Man.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

I enjoyed it, but boy, were there some plot issues in there. The computer-generated graphics were impressive. I'm still a bit unclear on the motivation of the aliens. Then again, don't alien asses always need to be kicked in such fiction?

Here's a reply I had to one of Roxane Gay's blog posts recently about her take on the movie: "We saw the movie this weekend. Like you say, the plot has a number of turds in it. Bruce Banner driving into Manhattan on a beaten-up motorcycle is something out of a SNL skit. Just flat out dumb.

As for Black Widow, that character deserves her own movie. There are all manner of stories to mine from her biography–a really great character. The whole Black Widow-Daredevil romance in her biography would make viewers have to suffer through Ben Affleck as Daredevil, however.

The strange thing about these movies is that if Hollywood actually followed the chronology of the comic books at least a little bit, the makers could make even more movies = $$$. My hope is that a subsequent Avengers movie introduces people to Scarlet Witch and Vision."

Because The Avengers is probably my favorite comic book (Daredevil and X-Men would be close behind), I took issue with Black Widow and Hawkeye being presented as the original Avengers. That's not even close to the original. In fact, the Avengers cartoon running right now on one of the Disney channels is more true to the original because Ant-Man and Wasp (the first female Avenger) were founding members.

Then again, since many of these comic books started in the 50s and had their golden age in the 60s and 70s, the creative team at Marvel probably has license to muck up the chronology to update matters to current times. For example, another cartoon out right now has Spider-Man being a S.H.I.E.L.D. trainee along with Power Man, Iron First, and others. That's a whole new deal right there.

Bottom-Line: It's Iron Man with more characters.