Friday, May 18, 2012

Schlabach's Revision of the Pre-Season Top 25

Today ESPN writer Mark Schlabach updated his "Way-Too-Early Preseason Top 25."

Here are my initial thoughts in response to his rankings:

  • LSU and USC being 1 and 2 respectively are good bets. Both are stacked with talent and have favorable schedules. 
  • I wonder if this will finally be the season that Georgia goes to the BCS Championship game. Like LSU and Alabama over the past five years, Richt has recruited really well, outstanding in fact. But they never seem to capitalize on their opportunities.
  • West Virginia in the Big 12, huh? They make sense as a fit for that offense-first, defense-challenged conference. I don't think they finish that high though.
  • I think the Spartans win the Big 10.
  • The Gators might be a top ten team at the end of the season. Their new offensive coordinator knows his stuff.
If you have thoughts on Schlabach's rankings, feel free to provide them in the comments section. 

2 comments:

travolta said...

re: Georgia - Their SBNation blog has already pegged them at 8-4 for the year for what its worth.

If Franklin is healthy I put on my Mizzou-colored glasses and see them going 6-2 or 5-3 in conference and winning a tiebreaker (over GA when they have their entire secondary suspended for the Mizzou game) for the SEC East. (And losing by 35 to a grass-chewing Les Miles in the SECCG)

I think USC should be the preseason #1 but clearly LSU and 'Bama have a claim to the tag.

I think the BCS race will come down to the Pac-12 champ (USC/Oregon), Big-12 champ (Oklahoma), and SEC champ (LSU/Alabama).

So, I'm supposed to chant "S-E-C" during the title game even if Mizzou gets curb-stomped by that team during the season, right?

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Regarding UGA, that squad has underachieved for years, so 8-4 wouldn't surprise me. It hasn't been Jim Donnan (who Richt replaced) underachieving, but it's still underachieving.

Is Franklin healthy though? Fwiw, on the Alabama site I"m a member of, many give Mizzou a good shot at playing in Atlanta. Like I said though, I think people are sleeping on Florida.

LSU is loaded (insert your own joke about drunken LSU fans here). The Tide has to go to Baton Rogue.

I'm never been fond of the SEC chant.