Sunday, January 1, 2012

Fumbling Toward Culinary Talent: Crab and Scallion Quiche

I've always wondered why quiche has such a bad reputation with some folks, mainly men. Is it an aversion to food starting with the letter q? Is it because Americans are usually Francophobic?

It's basically scrambled egg pie.

Win. Win.

Here a quiche I made to begin the new year.

Ingredients:
pie crust from the freezer
1/2 lb. of real or fake crab meat
3 green onions, chopped finely
3 beaten eggs
1 1/2 cups of milk
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of salt
dash of nutmeg
smidge of smoked paprika
1 cup of shredded cheese
1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour

In a mixing bowl, combine the eggs, milk, salt, nutmeg, and paprika. Mix in the crab, scallions, cheese, and flour into a frozen pie crust. Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes or so.

4 comments:

Josh said...

I'm allergic to shellfish, but may give this one a run with the fake crab meat...assuming I'm not allergic to that, too.

I've gotta learn to cook...

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

If I remember right, fake crab meat is usually Pollock.

Babe Runner said...

I think it's precisely because they call it quiche and not scrambled egg pie that people deemed it unmanly. Just like how cassoulet is really just pork and beans, polenta is grits, and bouillabaisse is the scraps of leftover fish that no one will buy but you don't want to hand over to the gulls. Actually I think that's what "bouillabaisse" translate to exactly. BTW I love scrambled egg pie, whatever it's called; I make mine with feta, spinach and shrooms.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

I like that collection of ingredients, Babe. I might have to try that out.