Sunday, January 29, 2012

Fumbling Toward Culinary Talent: Mixed Poultry Veggie Soup

This Saturday I made some soup from the carcasses of a couple of birds I roasted. I used the frozen remains of the turkey from Xmas and the carcass of a chicken I roasted last week.

I'm a wild and crazy guy, I tell ya. Straight up silly  ...  and handsome.

First, I made the stock.

Ingredients for Stage One:
1 turkey carcass
1 chicken carcass
1 unpeeled onion, quartered
2 carrots, chopped in big pieces
2 stalks of celery, chopped in big pieces
8 peppercorns

I placed the turkey and chicken parts in a large stock pot and covered them with water, kicked it on high, and waited for it to get to a boil. Once it gets there, you reduce to a simmer. Let it go for about thirty minutes and then add the other ingredients. Simmer for anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half, and you need to periodically skim the scum off the top about every twenty minutes or so.

Then comes the straining. So strain the bones, vegetables, etc. out of the broth and keep any of the good pieces of meat you want to add back in the stock.

Ingredients for Stage Two:
2-3 peeled carrots, cut thinly
1-2 stalks of celery, cut thinly
3-5 peeled red potatoes, diced
2 roasted chicken breasts (I used bone-in), cooled, and cut into bit-size morsels
Healthy smidge of smoked paprika
Smidge of Herbs de Provence
Garlic Powder to taste
Salt and pepper to taste

An additional ingredient was one carton of low sodium chicken stock. Since I had simmered the stock for a good while, it had reduced by a lot, and I had already cut up the veggies for the soup. So for the Foodie purists out there, reduce the amount of vegetables and chicken you're going to add if you don't want to use store-bought stock.

4 comments:

Dr. K said...

Did you enjoy your soup? Our problem with poultry stock has been that by the time it was soup we were no longer the slightest bit interested in it. The cooking aroma was a disincentive. So we'd end up going out for dinner.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

It was good. I like the idea of mixing the birds--chicken and turkey. The next time I make it, I'll probably throw in some noodles or maybe rice.

Babe Runner said...

You need to throw in a duck carcass and make turducken stock. As food snobs are always saying, don't buy canned! Make your own!

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Good point, Babe. That stock would be very rich.