Friday, October 14, 2011

Music Friday: "Daysleeper"

Currently the family car has R.E.M.'s Up in the CD player, and one of my favorite songs on that album is "Daysleeper." Hannah had to suffer through "Lotus" and "Sad Professor" on the way back from gymnastics last night.





While R.E.M.'s song isn't talking about the type of daysleepers I'm more familiar with--folks who work the second and third shifts in factories--the song usually reminds me of those people who see the day from a very different perspective than the majority.

In fact, thinking about second- and third-shifters also reminds me of an article in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that I'm including in the book I'm writing with a colleague. "Beer for Breakfast" by John M. McGuire describes the taverns in the St. Louis that cater to the late shift crowd.

The tavern I frequented back in college also was amenable to those clientele.

No comments: