Saturday, May 14, 2011

Belated Music Friday: "Unsophisticated Heart," "Speak Plainly, Diana," and "Not So Sure"

Sorry for the lateness of this week's Music Friday. Yesterday morning Blogger was down for repairs, and we went on a road trip before Noon for Hannah's dance performance today. Blogger no functional--me no post.

But we're back now. And I'm ready to present some songs that are not likely to have dance routines choreographed to them.

So to make up for my tardiness, I offer a trifecta of songs by Joe Pug, a singer-songwriter who has quite a narrative going on if you want to read his bio on the website. While I think people can read a lot into what's left out of that narrative (Why was he "profoundly unhappy"? & Why Chicago?, for starters), it's impressive that he sent over 15K CDs to all over the place. The man's passionate.

The first song, for your viewing/listening pleasure, is "Unsophisticated Heart" recorded at the studios of KDHX in St. Louis.





The second song of the trifecta is one that I delight in since it's a work titled just for Mrs. Nasty: "Speak Plainly, Diana." Well done, sir.





The final song of the trio is "Not So Sure."





All three of these songs come from his album Messenger from Lightning Rod Records, the label of two other artists I really like: 1) Jason Isbell & 400 Unit & 2) James McMurtry.

If you're interested in his stuff, you can get a four-song sampler for free from his website. I enjoy how he markets the CD samplers. Check it out.

No comments: