Friday, January 7, 2011

Music Friday: "January Wedding" & "Harlem River Blues"

I learned this week that longtime reader of PlannedOb is getting hitched. A woman has finally tamed the mighty Fozzie. Congrats, brother.

To celebrate this news, I offer a romantic song by the Avett Brothers (yes, those guys again) called "January Wedding." I don't know whether Fozzie and his better half's wedding will be this month or next January or whenever, but you can click HERE to watch them perform the song off the album I and Love and You.

Here's a selected stanza from the lyrics:
I hope that I don't sound to insane when I say
There is darkness all around us.
I don't feel weak, but I do need sometimes for her to protect me
And reconnect me to the beauty that I'm missin'.
And in January we're gettin' married.

And speaking of Foz, I'm sure he was as geeked up as I was at seeing Justin Townes Earle's performance Wednesday night on Letterman. I'm a big fan of Mr. Earle--all of his albums are solid. In fact, when No Depression solicited community members' opinions about the best albums of 2010, I voted Harlem River Blues number 1 for last year.

On Wednesday night, as Foz and I knew about, Mr. Jason Isbell played lead guitar for Earle on a vintage guitar from the 20s. And I believe the talented Dawn Landes acted as one of the back-up singers for the performance.

So you can also click HERE to watch "Harlem River Blues" on Letterman from Wednesday night if you're so inclined. Note the juxtaposition between the peppy music and the lyrics about going down to the river to kill oneself.

What I was somewhat shocked about during Letterman intro is that it was Earle's network debut. What? He has three albums out and is the son of Americana music icon Steve Earle, and Wednesday night was his debut? Wow. That's an indictment of something.

2 comments:

Fozzie said...

I know it is only the first week of January, but this is my nomination for Post of the Year.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

So when is the wedding, my good man?