Thursday, August 27, 2009

Parent Volunteering

Today I began my adventure as a parent volunteer at my daughter's kindergarten. Almost every Thursday morning from 10:15-11:10 I'll be helping out in Mrs. J's class. The students at that time are put into small groups and they rotate learning stations a couple of times.

The theme early on in Hannah's class has been bugs, so I got to hear some songs about those critters, especially a tune about the three main parts of insects: head, thorax, and abdomen. The singing made me finally realize why so few men take jobs as elementary school teachers. Could it be because singing seems to be the m.o. in the early grades?

Regardless, I was impressed by Hannah's teacher, an educator who gracefully balances too many kids in a class, attends to students' individual needs, trucks in positive reinforcement, and crafts lesson plans that connect to varied learning styles and forms of intelligence.

After learning time was done, it was lunchtime, so I paid two dollars and change to eat an industrial beef-n-bean burrito, pallid peas, and chocolate milk. I also got reacquainted with the spork, a utensil that wasn't helpful against that burrito.

No comments: