Saturday, August 22, 2009

Fumbling Toward Culinary Talent: Chicken Breasts with Aromatics

I made a pretty decent chicken dish tonight. The ingredients and directions are below.

3 chicken breasts
3 medium size carrots, cut into thin medallions
1 yellow onion, halved and sliced thinly
1 bell pepper, cut into half-inch slivers
3 cloves of garlic, cut thinly
Roughly a pint of chicken stock
Enough Cajun seasoning to coat chicken breast
1 teaspoon Boquet Garni
Cracked black pepper to taste
Salt to taste
Olive oil for searing

I sprinkled the breasts with the Cajun seasoning and seared them on both sides on medium-high heat in a cast iron skillet. After both sides were seared properly, I put the skillet into the oven on 375 degrees until the internal temp of the breasts was 185. Once the breasts were done, I set them on the cutting board.

I used chicken stock to deglaze the skillet by using a large wooden spoon to scrape the bottom of the pan. I added the carrots, onion, garlic, bell pepper, Boquet Garni, salt, and black pepper and cooked that combo [medium-high heat] until the carrots were about fork tender. In the meantime, I cut the breasts into slivers and placed them back into the pan to soak up the stock and juicy goodness of the aromatics. After about five minutes, it was ready.

No comments: