Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Thoughts on Last Night

Below are some of my so-called thoughts on what happened last night.

Once Ohio went to Obama, it was over.

I don't know why I'm obsessing about this, but I'm disappointed that Missouri didn't go blue. If Indiana can go to the Democrats, I thought Missouri might actually tilt the good guys' way. What I find fascinating that the Democratic party has made serious inroads in a couple of states in the Old Confederacy: the Old Dominion and the Tar Heel State. In addition, the fact Colorado flipped blue and Montana was fairly close make many parts of the West look very attainable. 

The argument could be made (and some have made it) that the GOP has become a Southern party.

The news story that needs to be covered in much more detail is how the Obama campaign is incredibly efficient, agile, and connected. They took down Clinton, who was a candidate with all kinds of advantages with the traditional model of campaigning, but Obama's grassroots organization coupled with the use of social-networking tactics was strong as hell. While this victory is historic for reasons that are being discussed (almost ad nauseum), this victory may change the way campaigns will be run hereafter. We'll see.

I want to see diverse and bipartisan Cabinet. Pick the best people based on the "content of their character."

No comments: