Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Musing of the Moment: April Harper's Index

Here are some interesting stats and factoids from the April "Harper's Index":

  • Amount, in hours, by which the top-earning 10 percent of U.S. men worked less last year than in 2019: 77
  • By which the bottom-earning 10 percent of men worked more: 37
  • Percentage of U.S. workers who have used ChatGPT for work who have not disclosed this: 68
  • Portion of K-12 educators who have caught students using ChatGPT to cheat: 1/4
  • Portion of parents with children under 18 who are worried about their children's mental health: 3/4
  • Who are worried about their children being kidnapped: 3/5
  • Being shot: 1/2
  • Percentage decrease over the past five years in the number of Americans who believe in God: 6
  • Chances that a U.S. adult under 30 believes in astrology: 2 in 5

The rich get richer and work less, and the poor work more. 

Do Chatbots dream of electric sheep?

At risk of sounding like an old fart, when I was a kid, I don't think parents gave much thought about a kid's "mental health" unless the kid showed some kind of severe problems. 

Hell, I was a depressed kid. Heck, I'm in general a depressed individual. But you don't see me going around whining about my "mental health." Some days were good. Other days weren't so good. 

So it goes. 

Considering the number of guns that are out and about in the U.S., I'm more worried about my kids getting shot at school/college or me getting shot.

I'm astounded by how many people believe in astrology. That crap is goofier in believing in a dude who turned water into wine.  

No comments: