Sunday, February 13, 2022

Fumbling Toward Culinary Talent: Non-Sugar Ketchup

I'm not a huge ketchup snob like some people. I use it when I eat fries, and I like it slathered on my tater tot casserole. But even when I dip fries in it, I typically use a 50-50 mixture of ketchup and yellow mustard because ketchup is typically too damn sweet.

And I never use ketchup on hot dogs because I'm not a child. 

So I've recently become obsessed with making non-sugary, homemade ketchup, and I took a recipe for Keto ketchup and modified it a bit.

Ingredients

  • 1 6oz. can of tomato paste
  • 1 cup of water
  • 1/4 cup of brown sugar alternative (I used Sukrin Gold)
  • 2 TB of apple cider vinegar
  • 2 TB of white vinegar
  • 1 Ts of onion powder
  • 1/2 Ts of garlic powder
  • 1 Ts of kosher salt
  • Freshly cracked black pepper
  • A healthy shake of Penzey's Chicago Steak seasoning

Process
Put all the ingredients together and heat on medium-high until it starts simmering. Reduce the heat to medium-low and stir constantly for approximately eight minutes. Take off the heat and let it cool for an hour or so. Transfer to your condiment dispenser of choice.

Future Thoughts
Next time I make it I plan to add in some smoked paprika and maybe bump up the garlic powder to a full teaspoon. 

No comments: