Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Fumbling Toward Culinary Talent: Green Lentil Soup

The other week when I was at Aldi shopping I was browsing that aisle Aldi has that is a collection of seasonal items and foodstuffs they're trying to get rid of for whatever reason. As I browsed, I happened upon a bag of green lentils. 

I've had canned Progresso lentil soup many times, but I had no idea there was such a thing as a green lentil. I grabbed the bag for $1.29, and yesterday I made this soup based on the recipe on the back of the bag. As is my nature, I modified the recipe a good bit. 

Ingredients
3 medium carrots, sliced into think half moons
2 stalks of celery, finely chopped
1/2 of a yellow onion, finely chopped
6 cups of chicken stock
1 cup of green lentils
1 package of baby bella mushrooms, sliced
2 bay leaves
Healthy smidge of garlic powder
Healthy smidge of Penzey's Old World Seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste
Olive oil
wedge of a lime

Process
In a Dutch oven, heat the oil on medium-high and add the carrots, celery, and onion. Cook for roughly 8-10 minutes so the celery and onions soften considerably. Add the stock, bay leaves, and seasonings. Heat to a boil and then put the lid on and reduce the heat to low. 

Let that percolate for about 20 minutes, so the lentils soften. Then add in the mushrooms and simmer for another 10 minutes. Test for proper seasoning and serve. 

When I had the soup, I added a little Sambal Oleak and chopped cilantro and then queezed a wedge of lime into it. I think I might also try it by adding chopped green olives. 

If you can get past the soup's greenish-brown color (not the most aesthetically pleasing), it's a good soup. 

No comments: