Sunday, January 20, 2013

Fumbling Toward Culinary Talent: Andouille Noodle Soup

For this soup, I made the stock much similar to the stock I made for my Turkey Kale Soup except I used a chicken carcass and parts.  

So here's what goes down after the stock is strained. 

Ingredients:
2 stalks of celery, chopped finely
one half of a medium yellow onion, chopped finely
2 carrots peeled and chopped finely
1 package of frozen noodles
1 length of andouille sausage, cut lengthwise and cut into thin half-moons
Healthy smidge of Penzey's Old World Seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste

Process: 
Even though the mediocre andouille sausage I had was "pre-cooked," I cut it up and grilled to get a bit of char on it and leech out some of the fat. I put the sausage on plate with a paper towel to mop up the grease and then dumped it into the stock along with noodles, celery, onion, and carrots. 

You bring it all to a boil and then simmer for thirty minutes. Add the seasoning about fifteen minutes in and then check for taste about twenty minutes in. 

No comments: