Sunday, January 6, 2013

Fumbling Toward Culinary Talent: Turkey Stock Kale Soup

I made an excellent soup yesterday.

Ingredients:
1 carcass of a whole turkey with legs and wings and other leftover bits from a formal turkey dinner (our Xmas turkey)
2 yellow onions, cut roughly with skin on
3 carrots, cut roughly and unpeeled
1 stalk of celery, cut roughly
4 bay leaves
12 (I'm approximating here) black peppercorns
3 medium carrots, peeled, and cut thinly
1 small red onion, diced
2 stalks of celery, cut thinly
1 medium bunch of kale, stems trimmed out, and cut into medium-size pieces
Salt and pepper to taste

Process:
First, I made turkey stock. I took the turkey parts, covered them in water, set them to a boil, and simmered them for roughly 45 minutes. I skimmed off nastiness along the way.

Then I added the rough-cut onions, carrots, and celery along with peppercorns and bay leaves. I simmered that stuff for three and a half hours till it reduced by about a half. I strained the stock into a different pot, cleaned the old pot, and transferred the stock into that pot.

Chop the carrots, red onion, celery, and kale. Dump all that into the stock and simmer for roughly an hour, just to make sure the carrots are soft enough and the kale has leeched its goodness into the liquid. Salt and pepper to taste.

No comments: