Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Stay Positive: Big Boy Restaurants


As I related earlier, we traveled to Cincinnati for a short vacation a couple of weeks ago.

Much to my nostalgic enjoyment, there was a thriving Big Boy Restaurant close to where we stayed.

I hadn't been to a Big Boy since I was a kid. Mrs. Nasty has a little experience with these restaurants, I think. She works in Danville, IL part of the year, and there's one there, but she had heard negative appraisals of that one or maybe even ate in it and wasn't impressed.

But when I was a tyke, whenever my parents and I would go out to eat, I would pester them to go to the Big Boy located in Cedar Falls, IA, which if I remember right was next to College Square Mall.

On the night we dined at the Big Boy, it was good, no frills, "American" food. I think a couple of folks in our dining party might have been dreading dining there, but I enjoyed the restaurant. I supped on a Swiss burger on a rye bun, onion rings, a vanilla shake, and a coconut cream pie.

Another positive of the restaurant was that it was cheap. For four adults and two kids dining there, it cost a little over fifty dollars. That's for a party of six.

Big Boy, even though your eyes creep out some people, I still believe in you.  

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Big boys is very good restaurants. Their food and service is outstanding. It is cheap restaurant and whoever people will able to go their.

Miller Hause bed and breakfast

Babe Runner said...

I'm thinking you need to start combing the thrift store bins for some checkered overalls, then buy or make the T-shirt and do the hairgel thing and you've got yourself a fabbo Halloween costume. (Or, heck, if you can't wait until October 31, the first day of school is coming up. What a swell first impression you'll make!)

As for the oversize burger he's hoisting, maybe you can get an old tire and paint it appropriately. At least I assume it's oversize. Maybe that fifty bucks bought even more than I imagine.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

I agree, Tom.

Babe, I'd have to grow out my hair to have that hairdo -- unlikely to happen, but I'm thinking about the costume.

I'll mull it over.