Friday, October 22, 2010

Music Friday: "Wide Eyes"

Click HERE to watch the Local Natives perform the lead song on their album Gorilla Manor.

These fellows have gotten a lot of pub from Daytrotter over the past year, so I checked 'em out and was pleasantly surprised. They remind me of various alternative bands from the late 80s and early 90s. One aspect that I really like about the album is that percussion plays a strong role in a number of their songs. In a lot of bands, the drums just work as the propeller of songs, but percussion plays a prominent role in the work of the Local Natives so far.

Here are the lyrics:
Oh some evil spirit,
Oh some evil this way comes.
They told me how to fear it
Now they're placing it on their tongues.
Oh to see it with my own eyes.
No food or water for the better part of ten months,
Quietly he sat below the folds of a free trunk.
Oh to see it with my own eyes.
All the men of faith and men of science had their questions.
Could it ever be on earth as it is in heaven?

3 comments:

fern said...

Excellent. Percussive propulsion is exactly what this day needed. I like these guys.

fern said...

What does the opening of this song remind me of? Is it something from Son Volt? I'm really not good at this game, but the connection feels really strong.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Yeh, I can't recall the Son Volt song either.