Friday, October 29, 2010

Music Friday: "Flashes and Cables"

I've been listening to the band Centro-matic a lot lately.

Well, to be precise here, I've been listening to Centro-matic and South San Gabriel a lot lately because both of those "bands" and actually one band fronted by Will Johnson. Both Centro-matic and South San Gabriel have the same band members; however, they produce albums under different names and sometimes albums under both monikers.

Centro-matic is the band that has a heavier, fuzz-laden, guitar-oriented sound, and South Gabriel represents the band with a more acoustic and generally slower tempo.

I don't know why Johnson and his mates decided on two names for the same band. Heck, I would have just stuck with Centro-matic to not confuse unenlightened music listeners.

I like their stuff, but the band (I'm just going to use the singular here) is an acquired taste because of Johnson's vocals. I lean toward liking the Centro-matic songs more because they tend to be more up-tempo and have a bit harder edge with amped up fuzziness.

One thing is for sure. The lyrics usually are willfully obtuse ~ a characteristic I'm more prone to tolerate in song lyrics than in poetry.

Readers, especially those of you educated in the liberal arts tradition, you want to take a crack at ciphering the lyrics? The best interpretation earns the distinction of me buying you an adult beverage of your choice (within reason--I'm no Rockefeller) next time I see you.

Here are the lyrics:

If we found the time,
If we found the merriment,
If we found the words,
We'd scratch them in new cement.
But those days are gone, and we've got only pictures now.
A rotary wheel and some leftover shotgun shells,
Nobody told us that the bastards were here.
All the rogues and scoundrels are shedding their tears.
No, nobody told us that the cameras were here.
All the flashes and cables,
Won't someone please save us?
So by our request please turn in your uniforms,
The medallions and pins for the Aries and Capricorn,
And file your complaints with this rookie officer.
He'll lend you his smile; he'll lend you his deafest ear.

But I digress. Click HERE for "Flashes and Cables."

2 comments:

fern said...

off the top of my head, Kent State. But I'm leaning heavily on the medallions.

I do like the first lines

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Contestant No. 1 chimes in. Thank you.