Monday, August 23, 2010

A Twelve Pack and a Plunger

Today the semester begins here at East Popcorn State, but I observed something late last week that epitomizes life here in Chucktown for some students living in rental homes.

I dropped by the local grocery store for supplies for Thursday night's dinner, and at that time of the week before classes begin, the college students are coming back in full force.

As I walked toward the dairy aisle at County Market, there was a young lady walking in the opposite direction. She had no cart, no basket, just the essentials: a twelve pack of Bud Light Lime in one hand and fresh plunger in the other hand.

That image has been tattooed in my brain lately as I reminisce about the interesting and sometime crude dwellings I lived in during my undergraduate and Master's years in Kirksville.

When I visualize her toting the twelve pack and clutching the plunger, it makes me smile.

I lived in some places in the 'ville that were decent to the standards of poor college student, but most of them did not offer bathrooms you wanted to show your mother. Plunge on, young lady, plunge on.

4 comments:

travolta said...

Bud Light Lime? That's not how I remember the 'ville.

I recall long philosophical debates on the relative merits of Natural Light vs. Beast Light.

The plunger, though, now THAT'S useful.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Bud Light Lime is an abomination. But that product could be the topic a rant-filled post for another day.

The clear winner in the philosophical debate is the Beast. At least with the Beast, it tastes sort of like beer ~ bad beer but beer nonetheless.

And if you're pure of heart, you drink the Red Shield.

Fozzie said...

I recently enjoy bottled Schlitz at a happy hour near my office. I couldn't believe this place had it.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Yeh, Foz, a small outfit in Milwaukee is putting out the original recipe from the 50s/60s. It's good stuff.

I think they're hoping that Schlitz catches on like PBR became a hipster beer.