Friday, August 6, 2010

Stay Positive: Going to a Show

It's not often that I get to go to shows much anymore, but when you have a gap in your schedule before school starts up again, it's good to take advantage of heading to St. Louis, having dinner with a couple of friends, and going to a show to take in some music from "emerging" bands, which seems to be the new moniker for alternative, non-corporate radio these days.

So last night a friend and I watch the double-bill of Dead Confederate and Deer Tick at Off Broadway.

I had listened to Dead Confederate a bit since I downloaded one their show in Athens, GA for free a while back (via Southern Shelter), and they remind me of Sonic Youth because of their atmospheric but hard-edged, guitar-oriented, fuzz-laden, wall of sound style. During their set I wish I would have brought earplugs because they were loud to the extent that you could feel the music moving through your body at times.

While I feel bad criticizing the band since I enjoy the lyrical mumblings of Eddie Vedder, Dead Confederate's lead singer couldn't be heard clearly, leading to unintelligible lyrics playing with their wall of sonic sound ethos.

Now Deer Tick I liked a lot already. I've been listening to their stuff for a while now (I recommend Born on Flag Day if you want to check them out), and their show was quite good. The lead singer--well oiled with beer and bags under his eyes from hard livin'--put on quite a show and cracked jokes. During the second song of the set, he displayed some Neil Diamond-like antics as the band played a soulful number from their latest release, The Black Dirt Sessions.

They played some of their more well known songs during the show, but Deer Tick also showcased some newer songs that I hadn't heard, and they were good.

And then there are the covers. I had already liked Deer Tick before I even came to the show, but after they covered "Waitress in the Sky" and "Can't Hardly Wait" by The Replacements, I liked them even more. I loves me some Replacements. And their version of ZZ Top's "Cheap Sunglasses" was quite fun too.

So Wardo, brother, thanks for taking in the show with me. Check ya later.

5 comments:

Wardo said...

No need to thank me Tools. I told you I'd go see Celine Dion with you, schedule permitting. It's all about the company. I'm going to look into Deer Tick.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Next time, I'm going to be better about informing Mrs. Nasty about when I go to a show, so I could fully enjoy the night life and crash at your place.

Sandy Longhorn said...

Q., thanks for this. I'm definitely going to check out Deer Tick. With a title like Black Dirt Sessions, how could I not?!

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Yeh, that's a strange title since they're from Rhode Island. But the band does have a gritty ethos.

Regardless, the lead singer has a voice that's powerful but may take some time to get used to. I was impressed by his guitar playing that night also.

Sandy Longhorn said...

Thanks for the heads up on the voice. Hmmmm....Rhode Island, I suppose what little dirt they have is black and not red or orange!