Monday, July 12, 2010

No-Phone Dude

As I was waiting in line at Walgreen's today to pick up some medicine for the sickly Mrs. Nasty, the pharmacist asked the guy ahead of me for his phone number. And the guy replied with an answer you don't hear these days: "I don't have a phone, but my address is...."

After he said this, there was some strange silence since the lady in the other line and I were thinking about not having a phone and probably thinking about how rare it is for a person not to have a phone these days.

After the awkward silence, the gentleman--long hair with a braid, cut-off jeans, and a t-shirt--felt compelled to explain why he didn't have one. He said he had one for a long time, but he "got tired of answering the dang thing" since it annoyed him.

The lady in line abruptly supported No-Phone Dude by saying "I wished I could do that," and I simply smiled as is my taciturn nature.

I'm not casting judgment on No-Phone Dude at all here. In fact, I'm envious. While I appreciate and understand that I need a phone for emergency and regular phoning purposes, I also get "tired of answering the dang thing."

Heck, I look back at nostalgia when we just used land lines since I couldn't be reached at all times. If I was out, I was out. Leave a message at the beep.

Cheers to you, No-Phone Dude.

4 comments:

fern said...

I don't answer my phone consistently since it's usually in my purse and not in my pocket, so soon only the spammers will still bother to call me.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

That sounds like a good system for you, Fern.

Sandy Longhorn said...

Q. Sorry the missus is sick. Remember way back in the day when we didn't even have answering machines.

I, for one, am terrible at ignoring a ringing phone.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Yep, I remember those good old days too, Sandy.