Sunday, July 11, 2010

Fumbling Toward Culinary Talent: Blackened and Powdered Green Beans

Every member of the Nasty family likes green beans, but I tire of steaming them and then applying flavor afterward. Since I'm usually looking for an excuse to use my cast iron pans, here's a basic recipe that incorporates pan frying. I'm also looking to find use for the shallots from my garden, so I've been using that aromatic quite regularly.

Ingredients:
A healthy picking of green beans
An appropriate amount of olive oil for said green beans
3 cloves of garlic, chopped not-so-finely
1 shallot, chopped not-so-finely
Large smidge of Tuscan Sunset seasoning (from Penzey's)
Salt and cracked black pepper to taste
Parmesan cheese

Before pan frying, boil the green beans for approximately five minutes, shock the beans in ice water to make them retain their color, and then drain.

In your pan heat the olive oil on medium-high heat. When the beans are about halfway done, drop the garlic and shallots in the pan with the seasonings. Once cooked, put them in a bowl, powder them with parmesan cheese, toss 'em, and serve.

No comments: