Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Musings on Sports-Related Matters

I don't really care much about the NBA. I haven't watched a game in years. Heck, I only watched a few college basketball games last year (the Tide basketball team obviously didn't have a good year), but I am intrigued by where this LeBron James fellow might end up, if only out of curiosity.

Since I listen to Mike and Mike in the morning as I drop off the kids and go to work and I also watch Sportscenter from time to time, I'm well aware that ESPN is covering his comings and goings like Fox News covers Sarah Palin.

It sounds like Mr. James will choose one of these three teams: the Knicks, Bulls, or Cavs. I know the Cavs were good because of LeBron carrying them, I know the Bulls are a good team now, and I know the Knicks stink although they did just sign a significant big man. If LeBron is a dude who wants to make his mark, why not in the Big Apple? Reviving the Knicks would be comparable to how Jordan pulled the Bulls out of Suckydom.

As for college football, recently both the Texas Tech and Illinois head football coaches publicly stated that the SEC is the best conference in the land. Well, DUH, Captains of the Obvious. Tell us something we don't already know.

What I find intriguing is that Tommy Tubberville got in some hot water for talking about how the "Big 12" (hereafter called the "Texas Ten" on this blog) still has problems because of unequal revenue sharing. The former Auburn coach and Destroyer of Mike Shula compared how the SEC shares the wealth evenly to how some schools in the Texas Ten get more money than others. The Texas Ten Commish reprimanded Tubberville, and the conference put out some touchy-feely statement about how everything is great with the conference. What a bunch of hokum.

For a coach who works at an institution of higher learning, where there's supposed to be a free exchange of ideas and viewpoints, Tubberville's situation reminds me of a lyric from the old rapper Ice-T that goes something like this: "Freedom of Speech, just watch what you say."

No comments: