Friday, July 10, 2009

Music Friday: "She's a Little Randy"

I'm a big fan of the Drive-By Truckers, and one of the members of the band, Patterson Hood, put out his second solo record, Murdering Oscar, this summer. I didn't even know he was doing solo work.

I was skeptical before listening to it because in the past I've made unkind comments of his singing ability. There are some DBT songs where I think he's stretching it. And although I like DBT's Brighter Than Creation's Dark, there are a few dogs on that opus, such as "I'm Sorry Huston," "Bob," and "Home Field Advantage." Those aren't Hood songs though. So maybe his singing is getting better?

Anyway, click HERE to enjoy "She's a Little Randy" from his solo album.

2 comments:

Fozzie said...

"Pollyanna" is a better tune from that album -- a great guitar riff.

Hood's voice kept me from listening to DBT when I first bought Southern Rock Opera, but one learns to accept it. "The Sands of Iwo Jima" is a great narrative, but I have no idea why he sings like that.

Search the Internet for an acoustic version of "Murdering Oscar" -- it's great.

Foz
"The Inspiration for Stay Positive Wednesday"

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Like "The Sands of Iwo Jima," "Puttin' People on the Moon" is probably one of the best songs (in regard to lyrics) by DBT, but that chorus is rough. Way rough.

I wonder how the base player would do with either though?