Monday, June 15, 2009

Grocery Store Pontifications

Proper and effective bagging at grocery stores is a lost skill. But I found someone who knows what to do. Her name is Angel.

I went to the local grocery store tonight, and I was pleased that Angel sacked bags right. I use sturdy reusable bags for shopping, and Angel sacked the right way: large items, such as a gallon of ice cream or cans, on the bottom to act a base to support the softer or bruisable goods at the top.

The main culprit to this lost skill are all the damn plastic bags that take up space in our lives and float about America as detritus, symbols of our throwaway consumer culture.

I also noticed as I was checking out that a young couple, college age, was buying a six-pack of Natural Light, a beer that screams, "Buy me in a 12, 24, or 30 pack because you need that much to enjoy my alcoholic treasures."

The image of a six pack of Nattie Light is some good incongruity. A beer that needs to be drank in heavy quantities is bought in six-pack form. To which I ask, "What's the point?" If you're buying that crappy of beer, buy in bulk, my friends, buy in bulk.

Now if they would have bought a sixer of tall boys, then that's a different story. Beer, by its nature, should be quaffed in pint form.

No comments: