Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Old Mint

My hotel here in San Francisco is right across from the old US Mint, which must be some kind of historical landmark. Regardless of its status, bums like to sleep there at night. I saw two getting up to meet the day this morning as I started my walk to the conference hotel.

Bums sleeping at the old US Mint, anyone can to take a stab at that symbolism?

After visiting another big city, I can say that I'm happy living in a small town again. As urban areas go though, I did like living in St. Louis and KC because they're both metro areas that aren't too big.

Once you get past "small market" city size, there's just too much big town "stuff" to put up with.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bums sleeping at the old US Mint, anyone can to take a stab at that symbolism?

Something about how our currency has been on a relentless path to worthlessness ever since it went off the gold standard springs to mind. Especially since the Granite Lady was built to accomodate the gold rush in Cali. Wikipedia entry here.

But I don't want to sound too much like a Ron Paul supporter. I hate it when people that I used to mock as tin-foil hat wearers start making a tiny bit of sense.

Memo to Congress/White House: don't worry about how much anything costs, we'll just print more money and/or saddle our kids with the debt.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

I knew you'd come around to the Ron Paul magic sometime.