Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Well, uh, wait a sec...

I posted this afternoon about how the asking price for Harden would be too high and how I wanted Maddux back.

And then I turn on the tube to find out that the Cubs acquired Harden and Gaudin for E. Patterson, Murton, Gallagher, and Donaldson (a single A catcher).

The big if on this trade, of course, is whether Harden can stay healthy for the rest of the season, which he hasn't shown he can do in his career.

The Cubs lose a good prospect in Patterson. And Murton never got a chance under Piniella or Baker. I think it's some type of negative bias against redheads or something. Gallagher is a good prospect, but he's another guy who quickly got on Piniella's bad side, for whatever that is worth. I think he'll enjoy the spacious confines in Oakland.

Gaudin might be the real difference-maker in this deal. He's pitched well this year with a 3.59 ERA and 1.28 WHIP, so he could easily bump Marquis from the rotation.  I hope.

No comments: