Tuesday, July 1, 2008

"Notes on Catch"

I thought I'd pass along this interesting but somewhat silly article on catch-phrases, stock phrases that are helping denude our vocabularies at an alarming rate.

Click HERE for the link to "Notes on Catch."

The catch-phrase I hate the most (and one not mentioned in the article) is "thinking outside the box." Who the hell ever thought inside a box? Is this cubicle-speak or something? Are there corporate executives in food courts across America plotting marketing strategies inside of refrigerator boxes? Whenever I hear someone say "thinking outside the box," I think to myself, "You don't know what the hell you're talking about, do you?"

That phrase has been played out, or has "played out" been played out? 

While this is not a phrase, I have been using the catch-word "liberate" from time to time. For example, "I'm wearing this Ole Miss t-shirt today because I liberated it from Diana." 

No comments: