Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Fumbling Toward Culinary Talent: Pickled Shrimp

I got the basics of this recipe from an episode of one of the PBS cooking shows I watch on a regular basis. It was featured either on Cook's Country or America's Test Kitchen

This recipe is a big one, so when I make this again, I'll probably cut the recipe in half because I'm the only one eating this stuff. 2 pounds shrimp is a lot of shrimp. 

Ingredients
2 lbs. of cooked shrimp-they called for jumbo shrimp, but I just used some frozen Kroger-brand, already cooked and devained shrimp and thawed them out. 
2 garlic cloves, smashed or chopped
1 cup of cider vinegar
1/4 cup of sugar
3 bay leaves
1 ts of ground coriander
1/2 ts of red pepper flakes
1 cup of sliced red onion
1 lemon cut into wedges
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 TB of capers chopped
1 TB of dill seed
1 TB of dill weed
2 TB of dijon mustard
1 TB of hot sauce
1 TB of Worcestershire 
1 TB of salt

Process
Thaw and drain the shrimp. I used medium size, but I'd probably prefer jumbo shrimp, which as a term is an oxymoron. 

In a large bowl mix the vinegar, sugar, bay leaves, coriander, and pepper flakes. Microwave the liquid for two minutes. Whisk. 

Add the red onion and lemon wedges into the mixture. Add the oil, capers, dill, dijon, hot sauce, Worcestershire, and salt. Whisk to make it a dressing. 

Add in the shrimp and refrigerate for at least a day. Throughout the day be sure mix up the concoction, so it's evenly coated. 

No comments: