Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Random Notes from a Crank

Mother Jones has an interesting article in the Jan-Feb issue. The online title of the article is "Heavier Storms Are Here. Rain Gardens Can Help." The author, Jackie Flynn Mogensen, relates how San Francisco has done some great work using rain gardens to soak up the rainfall from heavier storms. 

The mass amount of water would normally just run off into storm sewers and flood various areas. As she states, "Rain gardens soak up downpours, filter pollution, and offer habitat for pollinators."

The article led me to another one in Mother Jones: "Have a Yard? Consider Adding a Rain Garden," which provides information about resources and rebate programs. If I lived in Chicago, I could get a free rain barrel. 

I've been thinking about getting a rain barrel for years, but I've never gotten around to it. 

A word I need to work into my lexicon more is shite, the British term for shit. It just sounds classier than shit. 

Since I watch and listen to the Premier League and the fellows who post regular videos on WeAreTottenhamTV and the Grumpy Pundits program on SiriusFC, I've also picked up some British terms, such as "fancy," "big up," and "bullocks." 

Some British take special glee in being able to say "bullocks" for American audiences since apparently they cannot say that word on British airwaves or TV.  

No comments: