Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Random Notes from a Crank

I discovered a new word that I need to employ more often in my vocabulary: Blatherskite. Its definition is "a person who talks at great length without making much sense." 

That's a solid description of Moscow Don. 

I got it from an article in the May issue of Harper's by Thomas Frank: "The Pessimistic Style in American Politics: And Its Eternal War on Reform." 

For someone like me who is rather particular about the type of toilet paper his family uses, people hoarding TP angers me. I'm a regular user of Cottonelle and Quilted Northern, but those brands are rarely in stock at my local supermarket unless I go early in the morning. The highbrow Aldi brand TP gets the job done, but it is not as comforting on the nether regions as the aforementioned brands. 

This weekend apparently was one that The Spectrum on SiriusXM featured Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks songs. Fleetwood Mac is highly regarded band from critics, but it was never a group I got into. 

Their tunes are all right, but they are not one of those bands or artists that make me turn the channel like Aerosmith, the Eagles, and Journey. 

In an interview in Esquire, Jason Isbell mentioned Neutral Milk Hotel, a band that made two highly acclaimed indie rock albums in the 90s. That's a band that I need to check out, which sent me to Amazon Music to listen to the album In the Airplane Over the Sea

No comments: