Friday, December 28, 2018

Top Ten Albums of 2018

It's that time of the year again.

Like I did in 201020112012201320142015, 2016, and 2017, I'm providing my top choices of albums that came out this year. 

It has been a slow year for me buying new music, so if there are other albums you would recommend that came out in 2018, please let me know in the comments section. I know two albums that I want to buy, but I just haven't gotten around to purchasing them. 

Because I wasn't as prolific in getting new music, this year, I'm providing my top ten albums with a handful of honorable mentions. 

1. Lake Street Drive, Free Yourself Up


I got turned on to this great band once I saw them perform on the Late Show with Stephen Colbert. The lead singer's voice is luscious. The backing and arrangements are interesting. I probably listened to this album the most this year. 

Favorite Songs: "Baby Don't Leave Me Alone with My Thoughts," "Dude," "Doesn't Even Matter Now," "Good Kisser." 


2. Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats, Tearing at the Seams


I really enjoyed the band's previous album, and this offering was a solidly constructed opus. This dude has soul, and the R&B/Rock music is fabulous. I think these guys would be wonderful to see in concert. When Rateliff was written about in Rolling Stone, I discovered that he's originally from Hermann, Missouri, which is central Missouri wine country, home to Octoberfest celebrations. 

Favorite Songs: "Be There," "Hey Mama," "Intro," "I'll Be Damned." 


3. The Record Company, All Of This Life



This band is a tight-knit trio that puts out a heady mix of blues-rock that might make you dance.    In times like these when I read the news and get angry almost every day, this band puts me in a better mood. 

Favorites Songs: "Life To Fix," "Make It Happen," "The Movie Song," and "Night Games." 


4. Father John Misty, God's Favorite Customer


That facial expression replicates how I feel at times. This guy is prolific since Pure Comedy came out last year. If you're familiar with the Father's work, you'll like this one. 

Favorite Songs: "Mr. Tillman," "Just Dumb Enough to Try," "Date Night," and "God's Favorite Customer." 


5. Lucero, Among the Ghosts


For Lucero, this seems like a quiet album, but it's a good one. On previous albums, we saw the inclusion of horns. Not so much on this one. I'm not one of those Lucero fans who is a hater of horns, and this album harkens back to early albums. 

Favorite Songs: "For the Lonely Ones," "Long Way Back Home," "To My Dearest Wife," and "Everything Has Changed." 


6. American Aquarium, Things Change



I hate that iTunes classifies this album as "Country." If anything, you might classify AA as Americana, but I've always seen them as a rock band, which is how the other albums are codified. One of my favorite songs put out this year was "The World Is On Fire." 

Favorite Songs: "The World Is On Fire," "Tough Folks," "Things Change," and "Shadows of You." 


7. Buffalo Tom, Quiet and Peace


Much to my delight, I was surprised to find out that Buffalo Tom, a band once prominently featured on Mtv's 120 Minutes, put out a new album this year. The album is like most other Buffalo Tom albums: good straightforward rock. 

Favorite Songs: "All Be Gone," "Lonely Fast and Deep," "In the Ice," and "Slow Down." 


8. Thunderpussy, self-titled


I don't get the weird cover with the snake, but one member of Pearl Jam recommended this band via a short little article about the group in Rolling Stone, so I checked 'em out. I can see the Pearl Jam influence, which is a compliment. 

Favorite Songs: "Speed Queen," "Thunderpussy," "Gentle Frame," and "Torpedo Love." 


9. Brandi Carlile, By The Way, I Forgive You


I haven't listened to this album as much as I probably should have. When I listen to it, I think, "Man, I need to listen this more often." And then I forget about it. So one of my New Year's resolutions is to listen this album more often. It's an attainable goal. 

Favorite Songs: "Fulton County Jane Doe," "Most of All," "The Mother," and "Every Time I Hear That Song." 


10. Death Cab for Cutie, Thank You For Today


This is another album I need to listen to more often because DCFC usually scratches my pop-rock itch. 

Favorite Songs: "Summer Years," "When We Drive," "Northern Lights," and "60 & Punk." 


Honorable Mentions

Leon Bridges, Good Thing



Dawes, Passwords


Ben Miller Band, Choke Cherry Tree



Marie/Lepanto, Tenkiller



I'm With Her, See You Around

No comments: