Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Fumbling Toward Culinary Talent: Chicken-Based Immunity Soup

Like I've done before, I made some poultry stock. 

Ingredients, Part I

I used these ingredients:
  • 1 carcass of a chicken
  • 1 turkey neck
  • 10 peppercorns
  • 1 onion quartered
  • 1 carrot, unpeeled and chopped into chunks
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 cloves of garlic, smashed

Process
I covered all that with water, got it up to a simmer, and let it ride for approximately four hours while skimming off the goopiness off the top from time to time. I then strained the ingredients into a pot and transferred the stock to a stock pot. 

Ingredients, Part II
Here are the ingredients post-stock making:
  • 1 onion, chopped finely
  • 2 stalks of celery, chopped finely
  • 3 carrots, peeled and sliced thinley
  • 5 cloves of roasted garlic
  • 3 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
  • 1 can of kidney beans, rinsed
  • 1 package of baby bella mushrooms, chopped thickly
  • 1 bag of spinach
  • 1 package of chicken breasts, cubed
  • 1 can of diced tomatoes with chilies
  • Olive oil
  • Smidge of red pepper flakes
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Process
I put olive oil into a cast iron skillet and cooked the onion, carrot, and celery till softened. I then added the garlic and mushrooms for a couple of minutes and transferred that all into the soup pot. 

Adding a bit more olive oil to the skillet, I browned the chicken and added some good dollops of the stock, so the meat doesn't get too dry. Once the chicken was done, I transferred that into the pot and added the spinach, beans, and tomatoes with chilies. Simmer for 10-20 minutes and serve. Salt and pepper to taste.

Misstep
I made the soup but forget to use my bag of spinach, so the next time I make this I'll add in either spinach or kale. 

No comments: