Monday, August 29, 2016

Random Notes from a Crank

As many of you might know or have gathered if you've read this blog for a while, I tend to have pessimistic attitudes about politics, the "democratic" process, voters, the 24-hour cable news networks, FoxNews, and the intelligence of the average American. "The Dumbed Down Democracy" by Timothy Egan represents my feelings to a degree. 

Too often people think being a teacher is easy. Wrong. Read "7 Thing I Wish People Understood about Being a Teacher" for a reality check. 

The short interview with Garry Trudeau could be worth your time: "Doonesbury Cartooonist Garry Trudeau: 'If Trump wins, I'll miss civilization as we know it.'"

Check out this article from Slate from 2012: "Chaos Theory: A Unified Theory of Muppets." I'm an Order Muppet. And I think Oscar, my favorite Sesame Street character, is one too. 

In the "Ask Umbra" feature of Grist, a reader asks about the eco-responsbility of certain kinds of liquor: "What Kind of Liquor Is Best for the Environment?" I had no idea Four Roses used non-GMO grains, and my favorite, bourbon, looks like an eco-winner relatively speaking. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tool Time,

Been seeing your Strugill posts. Here is a recent show where he does the entire new record in last part of the show. He has added horns to the band and I think this show rocks. Anyway, thought you might enjoy: Here are the links:
SetList: http://tela.sugarmegs.org/_asxtela/asxcards/SturgillSimpson2016-07-04PustervikGothenburgSweden.html

Link to MP3: http://www.archive.org/serve/SturgillSimpson2016-07-04PustervikGothenburgSweden/SturgillSimpson2016-07-04PustervikGothenburgSweden.mp3

Take Care Brother,
Porch

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Thanks Porch.