Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Random Notes from a Crank

When Mrs. Nasty and I were in Cancun, we ventured out of the hotel premises and checked out the Mayan ruins of Tulum. When compared to Chichen Itza, one of the largest Mayan sites in the middle of the jungle, Tulum is a much smaller site, but it certainly was interesting. After our tour, we ventured back to the shopping and eating area outside the site, and in that area, there's a Quiznos, a Subway, and a Starbucks. If you know anything about Tulum, it's the ruins of a city during the last gasps of the Mayan civilization after they had used up the environment around them and finally crafted a smaller city by the coast. For all the deep thinkers out there, you can ponder about mass-market chains being close to the last vestiges of a dead civilization and what that all means. 

Mrs. Nasty and I were also talking about how we need to go on some family vacations starting next summer. With my daughter's annual dance competition, we go to some manner of resort during the summer, but we want to start seeing some sites. Here are some early ideas for future summer travels:
  • Washington D.C./Virginia area (Mount Vernon, Monticello, Revolutionary War and Civil War sites
  • Great Smoky Mountains
  • Lake of the Ozarks
  • Redwood National and State Parks
  • Seattle
  • Kansas City 

My son's baseball practices started yesterday. I'm working as an assistant coach again. Once again I'm living vicariously through my kids. 

My poor Cubs have lost two games in a row to the damn Cardinals. I hate the Cardinals.

I've thought of supporting a St. Louis ball club though because I've contemplated purchasing a St. Louis Browns hat. "First in Shoes. First in Booze. And Last in the American League." 



That cap would complement my Baltimore Orioles hat I have because that's what the St. Louis Browns became. 

2 comments:

Fozzie said...

I always vote for DC, especially with kids. The International Spy Museum is quickly becoming a kid favorite stop, and bike/Segway tours are unconventional ways to see the National Mall.

There are rafting opportunities on the rivers along the TN/NC/GA border that aren't too far away. Some might be too intense for kids, but the Nantahala River is calmer and several outfitters have inflatable kayaks on moving, but pretty tame water.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Mrs. Nasty's aunt lives in Charlottesville, so her house could be a base of operations to venture to Monticello, Mount Vernon, and DC. My son might appreciate it more after a couple more years though.