Sunday, July 21, 2013

Random Notes from a Crank

One of the simple pleasures in my life is walking around in my underwear to make my kids say, "Put some clothes on Dad!" This tactic usually happens in the morning. Just fyi. 

What gets me from time to time is how people who eat meat draw the lines on certain animals. It all seems so silly. They'll eat chicken but won't eat pork because they're "dirty animals." Please. When I was a kid, I watched my uncle Raymond's chicken coop up close. Chickens are nasty animals. I could go into gruesome detail if you like. Regardless, I understand the environmental stances against eating meat, which usually have logical coherence to them. In addition, there are health reasons that make a lot of sense why you shouldn't eat a lot of meat each day. However, I find it silly that people recoil at people eating squirrel, crawfish, rabbit, lamb, pheasant, oysters, bison, and other such varmints. They've obviously never tried them. They're delicious. Don't get me wrong. I respect vegetarians and appreciate the various reasons why people are vegetarian, but I like eating meat, though portion control is a good idea. In addition, the eating of meat is part of our evolutionary heritage because that move in our history helped homo sapiens expand brain size, which now gives us the ability to reason why we shouldn't eat or shouldn't eat a ton of meat in our diets. 


Now, factory farming is a good reason not to eat certain kinds of meat. Check out Factory Farm Map or "The Hidden Health Hazards of Factory Farms" if you're interested.

I recently got around to reading Days of Destruction Days of Revolt by Chris Hedges and Joe Sacco. I'm not far into it, but I'm enjoying it so far. 

No comments: