Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Random Notes from a Crank

My son had a basketball camp from 9-Noon the past three days. As six-year olds go, he's pretty athletic, but good luck to him because both Mrs. Nasty and I aren't giving him a good shot of being tall (based on our statures). I don't see a ton of hoops in his future. Then again, he will go to a high school that is a small school. 

When I was in junior high school, for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to go out for the basketball team. What a stupid idea. If I had been smart, I should have put my time and energy into wrestling. My junior and senior high schools were known for their wrestling programs. They kicked ass. 

My son has an outstanding sense of wonder in his being. One of the days I had him with me we were in the Student Union. We walked into the men's restroom, and this was his reaction to the old fashioned urinals there, the ones that start a little lower than chest high and cover the whole wall to let piss and water cascade down the porcelain to a metal hat looking deal atop the drain: "Awesome. That's the greatest thing ever." Like his old man, he likes a sturdy, old-school urinal. Whenever I get my dream house, I want a urinal in my bathroom. That will get rid of any complaints of leaving the seat up. 

Each day the OED sends me their "word of the day" to my email. A recent one was "ale knight," a disparaging term I wasn't familiar with. It's a noun, and an ale knight is "a person who frequents public houses; a drunkard." I know all kinds of terms for drunks and states of inebriation, but that's a new one to me. 

No comments: