Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Random Notes from a Crank


Sometimes when I'm at meetings, I can sense it coming. I get this visual image of a wave in the ocean starting to break, and I think "Rationalizations a-coming!" We're awash in them. 

One of the magazines I subscribe to, the magazine formerly known as Ode but now renamed The Intelligent Optimist, had a nice little editorial about the periodical's name change. The Editor-in-Chief, Jurriaan Kamp, relates what I find to be a productive and energizing frame of vision because I can tend toward pessimism and morose moods: "I argue that optimism -- intelligent, not mindless, optimism -- is the only realistic strategy for life. It is not going to prevent bad things from happening. On most days, more will go right than wrong; still, nobody can escape problems and setbacks. But the intelligent optimist accepts reality without immediately coming to a negative conclusion."

I keep thinking that my fantasy baseball team, The Schlitzophrenics, is going to collapse in the end (there's tonight and tomorrow left in the fantasy baseball regular season). I'm trying to be optimistic, but I'm a Cubs fan. We're used to heartbreak, pain, and suffering. 

No comments: