Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Random Notes from a Crank

We're down here in Florida for spring break. On Monday we were at Disney. We took in Hollywood Studios and a bit of the alleged Magic Kingdom. The highlight of that day was my son and daughter being part of the Padawan training associated with the Star Wars part of Hollywood Studios park. They got trained to be Jedi warriors and then took on Darth Vader.

My daughter was up first. She did the moves as instructed. My son, on the other hand, "freestyled" as his trainer described it.  He must really hate Darth. He went after him. 

After about three hours into our time at the Magic Kingdom, the kids were tired. So were we. They wanted to go back to the condo and swim instead of deal with all those people at Disney during spring break. I concurred. Concur I did. Verily.

I'm worried about my garden. On Friday I planted two rows of shallots (one from seed, the other from sets), a row of spinach, a row buttercrunch lettuce, and a row or red Romaine. From what I gather from the InterWebTube, it's been unseasonably warm in central IL. That wouldn't be a big deal, but I'm not there to keep the newly planted seeds moist. Sure hope there's been rain. 

This season I tested whether I could keep my flat leaf parsley in the ground and have it come back in the spring just like my chives do. The parsley did fine. I could go pick some now if I were there. 

I have a hunger for raw oysters. I will satiate it soon.

After finishing Kevin Young's Ardency a while back, I started into Sherman Alexie's old collection, The Business of Fancydancing, but didn't bring it with me, unfortunately. But I've got plenty of other stuff I need to read anyway.

I'm gearing up for my fantasy baseball draft next Saturday. Projected WHIP, K rates, OBP, homeruns, and RBI along with last year's BABIP, these are on my mind every once in a while. 

Maybe I'll do another Fantasy Red Herrings post for the schmohawks out there.

No comments: