Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Fumbling Toward Culinary Talent: Spinach Fettuccine

Since I planted a row Savoy spinach this afternoon along with a row of Swiss Chard, I got hungering for wilted greens. I had about half a bunch of fresh spinach in the salad spinner, so I got to work.

Ingredients:
Olive oil for cooking
1 medium bell pepper, chopped finely
1 Serrano del Sol, chopped finely
2 shallots, sliced into ribbons
5 cloves of garlic, chopped roughly
half bunch of fresh spinach
Cooked fettuccine to ever how much you want
Salt and pepper to taste

I got out my cast iron dutch oven, covered the bottom with olive oil, set the burner to medium, and dropped in the bell pepper and Serrano. After softening those for about five minutes, I dumped in the shallots and garlic and cooked those for about two minutes longer. Put in the spinach to wilt for a couple of minutes and then toss in the fettuccine to coat the pasta with the aromatic and spinachy treasure. Move to the plate and cover with Parmesan.

This ingredient list worked well, but when I do this again, I'll be using about double the amount of spinach.

2 comments:

fern said...

I can save you some time. Use three times the amount of spinach next time.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Good point.