Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Fumbling Toward Culinary Talent: Angel Hair con Garden Fare

Although I'm not a vegetarian and probably never will be, I eat vegetarian fare pretty often because I forget to thaw out meat and lately my freezer is a little bare. So the other day I slopped together a pasta dished based on what I had in the garden and around the house.

Ingredients:
1 bell pepper, chopped into ribbons
half white onion, chopped into strips and separated
1 Cayenne pepper, diced
2 shallots, chopped coarsely
2 cloves of garlic, chopped coarsely
1 medium size zucchini, chopped into slim half-moons
A large helping of leftover angel hair pasta
Olive oil
Smidge of thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
Good helping of Parmesan cheese
Lime wedge

Heat the oil in a pan on medium/medium-high heat, drop in the onions and peppers, and sweat them down for about five minutes. Drop in the Cayenne and zucchini and cook for roughly another five minutes. Then put the garlic and shallots in the pan for a minute or two but make sure the garlic doesn't burn. Then drop in the spaghetti and put in the salt, pepper, and thyme. Toss the pasta around to mix it up thoroughly for a minute or two, plate, top with Parmesan cheese, and squeeze a little wedge of lime on top. A lemon wedge would work better, but I only had a lime around.

No comments: