Friday, March 26, 2010

Music Friday: "Working for a Living"

My son and I ate at a new restaurant yesterday, one that is meat and potatoes joint all the way. It's the kind of place that offers chicken fried steak, t-bone dinners for $12, fried chicken dinners, a smattering of "seafood" here in central Illinois, liver and onions, etc.

Anyway, the music that they had playing in the restaurant played the two types of music--Country and Western. As we ate, a song that played was a countrified cover of Huey Lewis and News' "Working for a Living," and I kind of liked it because of the pure cheese of it all. In fact, I think there should be an album of bluegrass musicians who do cover versions of songs by Huey Lewis and the News & Hall & Oates--both early Mtv icons.

Just think about it: " I Want a New Drug," "Private Eyes," "She's Gone," "Hip to Be Square," "Rich Girl" and "Maneater" played in bluegrass. Fun stuff.

Regardless of my idle dreaming, click HERE to watch Huey Lewis and the News perform with the Tower of Power Horns in 1982.

2 comments:

Fozzie said...

You know, as dated as it sounds, that band never got a lot of critical acclaim, but they always played simple, good-time rock and roll. I wish more bands today would just play and not take themselves too seriously.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

They had some cheesy songs, but like you I enjoy their straightforward nature. "I Want a New Drug" has to be one of my top 20 songs of the 80s. They certainly had fun, and Huey knows how to work the harp.

Their straightforward songs remind of a great band that doesn't get enough credit: the Bottle Rockets.