Saturday, May 30, 2009

Fumbling Toward Culinary Talent: Stir-Fried Kale

Up until recently I hadn't eaten kale much at all. In fact, the only dish I remember eating with that veggie was some manner of a "Portuguese Fisherman's Soup." And that was last year.

Since I like greens, I figured I'd try out kale this season in my garden. Today I stupidly cut the two whole kale plants instead of simply cutting the outer leaves for continuous growth, which I found out I could do later this evening. Now I only have six plants instead of eight. So dumb.

Regardless, here's a basic recipe for some quickly cooked greens:

1 Vidalia onion cut into rings
3 cloves of garlic cut thinly
2 bunchs of kale, stemmed and chopped roughly
1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
A little bit of white wine vinegar

Using a large cast iron skillet, I softened the onions over medium heat until cooked pretty well. Then I added the garlic for about a minute, kicked up the heat to medium-high, and threw in the kale. I turned it over for maybe 4-5 minutes, and the greens reduced in size a bunch.  After taking the kale out and putting into a bowl, I added a little bit of white wine vinegar, and it was ready to serve. 

No comments: