Friday, May 15, 2009

Fumbling Toward Culinary Talent: Liver & Onions

A couple of days ago I did an old-fashioned meal--liver and onions. So you liver lovers (I prefer chicken over beef), enjoy this basic recipe.

3/4 lb. calf's liver cut into small pieces
1 Vidalia onion cut into half rings
2 tablespoons of butter
2 teaspoons water
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon of Worchester sauce
1/2 cup of the wine you're drinking at the time (for me, it was a Cabernet)

Cut up the onion and brown the onions in the butter. Once the onions are the way you prefer them, take out the onions and then put your liver into the pan. 

Brown the liver on one side for approximately three minutes on medium heat, turn the liver and cook it with the onions for maybe two more minutes. I cooked my liver a bit too much, so it was a little chewy. Watch that.

Take the liver and onions out of the pan, and dump in the water, juice, sauce, and wine to deglaze the pan. Cook that for a short time (thirty seconds), and pour that liquid over the dish.

Sit down, relax, and enjoy the offal.

2 comments:

travolta said...

Let me fix that recipe for you.

You meant 2 1/2 cups of wine. 2 cups for the chef while cooking and the other 1/2 cup as stated.

Personally, I would also change the meat to something that isn't disgusting, but, hey, to each his own.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Add a high ball glass of Old Forester or Maker's Mark, and I'd gladly change the meat to tenderized veal.