Thursday, June 19, 2008

Kenson Comments about Racists...

in the previous post is something I've been mulling over lately.

Actually, I thought about this a lot as I was cutting the grass a week ago. 

One of neighbors of my parents commented recently that she's "going to have to vote for a Republican this election because I'm not going to vote for a nigger." 

That comment reminds of how many of the founding fathers feared that the republic would really be a "mobocracy," not a democracy, and that people would vote for dumb reasons. We hayseeds would get duped all the time. 

That person's dumbass comment doesn't surprise me, unfortunately, because as much as people like to believe that racism still isn't out there, it is. 

While Obama's race will not be the determining factor in the election, I believe that his race will play a small factor in some people not voting or some people voting for McCain. 

With the pick of Obama, what the Dems are implicitly assuming is that the American voting public has got beyond race. In as sense, Obama's candidacy appeals to our better natures, that we'll look at the candidates by the content of their characters and their positions on issues.

Although he had to address race after the Rev's rantings, the Obama candidacy, in part, is challenge for the American people to look past race. 

We'll see how that goes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Although Obama is ahead in both the polls and in finance treasures, I still have a strong feeling that McCain will pull this one out.

I say this based on the factors of the disgruntled women, “trailer” whites, possible future Obama family skeletons, and Obama not wanting to drill now.

Only time will tell………….Should be interesting.