Sunday, September 11, 2022

Sunday Hangover: Texas

The last time I wrote about an Alabama-Texas game it was the Tide's first national championship under Saban

This one was a very different game except that both kind of went down to the wire although yesterday's game went down to the final seconds, not minutes. 

I didn't get to watch much of the game because I was driving for a weekend jaunt during it, so I listened to off an on because we were down in southern Illinois where the service was spotty as hell. I heard most of the game though, and here's what I gathered from what I heard and was told by the passengers who watched the game while I listened. 

The defensive backs played poorly. 

The offensive line struggled against the Texas defense throwing everything at them coupled with a very loud crowd. 

The young receivers struggled to get open. 

Alabama probably should have focused on running the ball more. 

It was the sloppiest game of the Saban era. So many damn stupid penalties...

Bryce Young is an exceptional football player. 

So, in sum, the areas where the Tide had question marks all had issues during a feisty road game. 

My hope is that this game serves as a good-bad win, meaning that Alabama played poorly in so many ways, they won, and the good-bad win works as a reality-anchor on how the Tide needs to work the process and get much better. 

There are all kinds of coaching points that Saban and the assistant coaches will be mining for weeks. 

No comments: